When you attempt to apply optical character recognition (OCR) to a file, you receive the error message, “Acrobat could not access the recognition service because: unable to locate the paper capture recognition service.”
To fix the error, try the following solutions in the order they appear below.
Solution 1: Copy the files from the ‘iDRS15’ folder to the ‘PaperCapture’ and ‘plug_ins’ folders in Acrobat
- Go to the location:C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\<Acrobat Version>\Acrobat\plug_ins\PaperCapture\iDRS15For example, for Acrobat DC, go to:C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins\PaperCapture\iDRS15
- Copy all the files in the folder.
- Go to the following location and paste the copied files:C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\<Acrobat Version>\Acrobat\plug_ins\PaperCapture
- Go to the location mentioned in Step 1, and copy all the files again.
- Go to the following location and paste the copied files:C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\<Acrobat Version>\Acrobat\plug_ins
Try running OCR using the Enhanced Scans tool and then from the Edit PDF tool. (You can select the tools from the right panel in Acrobat.)
Solution 2: Uninstall and reinstall Acrobat
You can sometimes resolve the error by uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat.
- Uninstall Acrobat from your computer:
- Open the Run command dialog by pressing the Windows key and the R key.
- In the dialog, type Control Panel and click OK.
- In the Control Panel, select Program and Features, and then select Acrobat from the list of installed programs.
- Click Uninstall and follow the prompts to uninstall Acrobat.
- Reinstall the latest version of Acrobat on your computer: